| The Mission of Winona Grange #271, chartered in Tualatin, Oregon in 1895, is to provide opportunities for involvement and leadership in community service, for individuals and families; to maintain our local advocacy for Agriculture; and to welcome the community into our Grange Hall for a wide variety of educational and social events, portraying our traditional American family values.
||Once upon a time, Winona Grange, along with every other Grange ever established, served a local, rural, agricultural community. Time has changed the landscape of America. Although many Granges still find themselves in rural settings, Winona Grange #271 is now in the heart of a larger metropolitan population center.
From the beginning, Granges played a pivotal role in securing essential supplies for the farmers, collective bargaining in their marketing efforts, legislation for education of their children, and a central location for social recreation, to name but a few. A longer list can be found on the Grange History page.
Winona Grange recognizes that some community challenges are still with us today. Hunger is still a significant challenge in Oregon. With all the shortfalls in education funding, we see that there are goals we can work toward in concert with our local schools. And, every new generation will need to include some farmers, for every new mouth needs to be fed.
To address these needs, Winona Grange #271 has ongoing programs in these areas:
Grange Gardens, to coordinate efforts to grow fresh vegetables and fruits for our local Food Bank, either by way of the Tualtin Farmers Market, or directly,
Garden Seeds Distribution, an anuual project funneling donated garden seeds to Granges and other Community Service Organizations all across Oregon,
Agricultural Scholarships, offered to Tigard-Tualatin and Sherwood High School Seniors each year.
More information on all of these programs will be found below.
Social recreation: The Grange Hall, with its hard maple dance floor, is still just as good to dance in, as it was back when it was first built in 1940. And, two local groups of Square Dancers still dance there, too. Our Hall schedule can be found on the The Hall page.